When my children were younger, they loved to watch shows about animals. Especially lions.
One of the most interesting episodes we watched showed a lion stalking a herd of water buffalo.
The lion always looks for the prey that is weak and all alone. But the water buffalo know this. And so, the stronger animals surround the weak, young, and elderly whenever they sense danger.
The Bible talks about the devil being a roaring lion who is seeking someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8) He likes to look for the Christian who is weak and all alone.
Just like the water buffalo, we can surround our friends and loved ones when they are facing hard times to protect them.
We can do this by praying for them. Doing what we can to help them. And sharing God’s inspiring words with them.
The following uplifting scriptures for encouraging others will help bring your loved ones comfort and peace.
Encouraging Scriptures for a Friend
The following verses are good scriptures for inspiring and encouraging one another. They give us something to hold onto when our hearts are heavy.
1) “Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”-Deuteronomy 31:8 NLT
2) “Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.”-Psalm 23:4 NLT
3) “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.”-Philippians 1:6 ESV
4) “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.”-Romans 8:28 NLT
5) “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.”-Romans 8:18 ESV
6) “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison.”-2 Corinthians 4:16-17 ESV
7) “The name of the Lord is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe.”-Proverbs 18:10 NLT
8) “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.”-Isaiah 43:1b-3a NLT
9) “The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”-Zephaniah 3:17 NIV
10) “Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.”-Psalm 55:22 NLT
11) “For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation.”-Psalm 100:5 NLT
12) “Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.”-Psalm 30:5b ESV
Scriptures for Encouraging Others
So, how do we encourage one another when life is hard and we don’t know what to say? Why not try passing along uplifting Bible verses by writing them in a card or sending them in a text?
And the following scriptures are great for doing just that!
13) “I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”-Psalm 121:1-2 NIV
14) “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”-John 16:33 NLT
15) “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”-Matthew 11:28-30 MSG
16) “So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.”-1 Corinthians 15:58 NLT
17) “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”-Colossians 3:16 ESV
Encouraging Scriptures to Pray Over Others
The Bible says a lot about supporting each other through bearing each other’s burdens, being there for each other, and especially by praying for each other.
Whether your loved one is struggling with depression, the loss of a loved one, a debilitating health diagnosis, or anything else, these verses from God’s Word are perfect for praying over them.
18) “I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.”-Romans 15:13 NLT
19) “May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands.”-Psalm 90:17 NIV
20) “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.”-Philippians 4:19 NIV
21) “May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had.”-Romans 15:5 NIV
22) “That their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God’s mystery, which is Christ.”-Colossians 2:2 ESV
Bible Verses for Encouragement and Strength
Life can be hard for all of us. But we can encourage one another with these words from the Bible that remind us to hope in the Lord and find our strength in Him.
23) “Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.”-Psalm 31:24 NIV
24) “Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong.”-1 Corinthians 16:13 NLT
25) “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.”-2 Corinthians 4:16 ESV
26) “But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”-Isaiah 40:31 ESV
27) “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.”-Isaiah 41:10 NLT
28) “Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.”-Philippians 4:13 MSG
How to Encourage Others in the Lord
The following scriptures on encouragement show how important it is to come alongside other believers and build them up in their faith.
29) “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”-Hebrews 10:24-25 NIV
30) “We should help others do what is right and build them up in the Lord.”-Romans 15:2 NLT
31) “So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.”-1 Thessalonians 5:11 NLT
32) “For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.”-2 Corinthians 1:5 ESV
33) “Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.”-Galatians 6:2 NLT
I hope these Bible verses have inspired you to do what you can to encourage the people around you. It doesn’t take a lot of time or effort to remind each other of God’s promises. Of His great love for us. And of the eternal hope we have that no one can take away.
This life is hard enough without trying to do it on our own.
Let’s do what we can to inspire and encourage each other!
If you found this encouraging, then please share!
You may also really like: