When I first became a Christian, I thought my life would be easy. I thought if I did all the right things like going to church, reading my Bible, and making time for daily prayer . . . then God would bless me with an easy life.
But then I was diagnosed with a chronic illness. And through that awful experience God completely changed my perspective.
The truth is Jesus never promised us an easy, comfortable life. In fact, He told us it would be the exact opposite.
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”-John 16:33 NIV
The bad news is that we live in a broken world. And because of this, its brokenness is sometimes going to fall on us. Which means we’re going to deal with heartache, suffering, pain, hard times, and even traumatic experiences.
But the good news is that through the sacrifice of Christ Jesus and God’s great mercy . . . everything will be made right someday.
Jesus is our living hope. Especially in our most difficult times.
His death paid the penalty for our sins. And the resurrection of Jesus Christ made a way for us to go to Heaven someday where God will wipe all our tears away. (Rev. 21:4)
Not only that . . . but because of Jesus, we now have the Holy Spirit living in us. To guide, comfort, and strengthen us.
No matter what kinds of trauma we may have been through, we can remember God has not given us a spirit of fear but rather a sound mind. His perfect love for us can help us find inner peace even when our world feels like it is crumbling.
As we lean on God in our disappointment and pain, He will turn it into something great.
And the following Bible verses for healing from trauma . . . are great reminders of this.
Bible Verses on the God of All Comfort
Jesus understands emotional pain. He gets it. He has been there. While on this earth, He dealt with betrayal, shame, abuse, trauma, and many other terrible things.
So, when we are dealing with all the bad things in our life, we can turn to Him . . . knowing He understands.
It doesn’t matter what you have gone through.
Whether you have been abused by a family member, lived through natural disasters, survived a car crash, endured the horrors of sexual assault or sexual abuse, been through psychological hurt, suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, deal with overwhelming health issues or a terminal diagnosis, or have been through any other awful traumatizing experience.
God can heal you if you lean on Him.
By focusing on the truths in His Word, He can give us the comfort and strength we need to heal and move on.
1) “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.”-2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV
2) “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”-Psalm 23:4 ESV
3) “My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.”-Psalm 119:50 NIV
4) “You will increase my honor and comfort me once more.”-Psalm 71:21 NIV
5) “May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.”-Psalm 119:76 NIV
6) “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”-Matthew 5:4 NIV
7) “Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal comfort and a wonderful hope, comfort you and strengthen you in every good thing you do and say.”-2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 NLT
Bible Verses on the Steadfast Love of the Lord
We are God’s beloved children. The apple of His eye. We are cherished and adored more passionately and intimately than we could ever imagine.
When dealing with a broken heart over all the various trials in our life, we can always turn to the Father of mercies.
Because in the shadow of the Almighty we can find hope and rest from the weariness of it all.
The following verses will help us reflect and meditate on all the reminders in Scripture of God’s love for us.
8) “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”-Romans 8:37-39 NIV
9) “How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.”-Psalm 36:7 ESV
10) “Help me, O Lord my God! Save me according to your steadfast love!”-Psalm 109:26 ESV
11) “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you.”-Isaiah 54:10 NIV
12) “For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”-Zephaniah 3:17 NLT
13) “And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”-Ephesians 3:17a-19 NIV
14) “See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are!”-1 John 3:1a NLT
15) “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”-1 Peter 5:7 NLT
16) “Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. By your mighty power you rescue those who seek refuge from their enemies. Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings.”-Psalm 17:7-8 NLT
17) “And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.”-Romans 5:5 NLT
18) “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.’”-Lamentations 3:22-24 ESV
19) “We put our hope in the Lord. He is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. Let your unfailing love surround us, Lord, for our hope is in you alone.”-Psalm 33:20-22 NLT
Bible Verses on Spiritual Healing
One of God’s names is Jehovah Rapha – this name means “the God who heals.”
God can heal us not only in our physical body, but also in our mental and emotional health, AND through spiritual healing.
And because the spirit of the Lord God lives in us, He is right there with us through every part of the healing process.
Whether that means:
- Looking for support groups specializing in trauma care.
- Contacting a counselor who specializes in trauma therapy and trauma healing.
- Taking medications or supplements under the guidance of a doctor.
- Spending time with godly people who can encourage and pray for you.
- Focusing more on spiritual practices like prayer and meditating on God’s Word.
- Reminding yourself that the sufferings of this present time will be over soon and then we will get to enjoy eternal life forever.
- Realizing that anything that forces you to lean on Jesus can be used by God to grow a strong faith in you as you see what God can do.
- Resting in Jesus as you wait on His perfect timing for your complete healing from trauma.
- And clinging to the hope you have in Jesus.
God can work through prayers, people, and pills to help trauma survivors find healing. He is with us throughout our entire healing process . . . no matter how hard or long that is.
This is why we can choose to walk by faith knowing God is with us every single step of the way.
20) “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”-Matthew 11:28-30 MSG
21) “Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”-Mark 6:31 NIV
22) “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”-Romans 15:13 NIV
23) “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”-John 16:33 NIV
24) “He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”-Revelation 21:4 NLT
Bible Verses on God’s Promises for Tough Times
No matter what we are going through the peace of God can surround us as we reflect on His many precious promises to us.
When the pain becomes too much to bear, spend some time pondering what the Bible says about how much God really does care.
Meditate and reflect on the following truths:
- You are a child of God. (Gal. 3:26)
- He will be your strength in everything. (Phil. 4:13)
- He is with you every step of the way as you walk by faith. (Deut. 31:8)
- He can redeem ANYTHING and use it for not only your good . . . but also for His glory. (Romans 8:28)
- The King of Kings loves you more than you could ever dare to dream. (Romans 8:38-39)
- And He has promised you that He will make a way for everything to be made right someday. (Rev. 21:4)
25) “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.”-Isaiah 41:10 NLT
26) “But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.”-Isaiah 40:31 NLT
27) “The Lord is close to all who call on him, yes, to all who call on him in truth. He grants the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cries for help and rescues them.”-Psalm 145:18-19 NLT
28) “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.”-Psalm 34:18 NLT
29) “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”-Hebrews 3:5 NIV
30) “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”-Deuteronomy 31:6 NIV
31) “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”-Romans 8:28 NIV
Bible Verses on God’s Help in Difficult Times
God can help us in our most difficult times. Even during our darkest nights of pain and suffering. He is the One who can carry us when we are weak. He is the One who can be our voice when we cannot find the words to speak.
Because no matter what we have been through our all-powerful God can mend our hearts, heal our minds, and transform our lives.
32) “This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.”-Psalm 91:2 NLT
33) “I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.”-Psalm 27:13 NIV
34) “The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.”-Psalm 9:9 NLT
35) “The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?”-Psalm 27:1 NLT
36) “What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”-Romans 8:31 NLT
37) “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them.”-Psalm 145:18-19 NLT
38) “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.”-Isaiah 41:1-2 NLT
39) “Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.”-Jeremiah 17:14 ESV
40) “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”-Isaiah 41:10 NIV
God Can Bring Healing from Trauma
We can’t do any of this in our own strength. The emotional trauma is too much for any one person to handle on their own.
This is why more than anything . . . we need Jesus.
In our times of trouble, God reminds us that He is right there. That He really does care.
That our suffering will only be for a little while. And that if we lean on Him, His great power will work in us to heal us from everything and anything that may have ever happened in our life.
The Holy Spirit living in us is the One who can guide us every step of the way through our recovery process in healing from trauma. And as He does this, we may even find ourselves inspiring others in their faith.
Because the light of our faith shines brightest when we let our light shine through the darkest moments of our life.
If you find this encouraging, then please share it so it can encourage others!
And be sure to check out these other great Bible verse reads as well: