Suffering from health conditions isn’t easy. And so, finding ways to make our lives easier while dealing with broken bodies is very important.
As it turns out, there are many benefits of gratitude listed in the Bible and science is showing that gratitude has been linked to better emotional, mental, and even physical health.
If something as simple as saying, “thank you” can have a profound impact on our lives, health, and mood . . . then we should make it a priority.
The problem is that being grateful doesn’t come naturally. It’s something we have to be intentional about. Something we have to work at.
This is why we put together this list of Bible verses relating to gratitude.
By reading, meditating on, and memorizing these Bible verses on appreciation and gratitude to God we can work to make gratitude a habit.
A natural part of our daily lives.
Which in turn will make living in this broken world with broken bodies a little bit easier.
And who wouldn’t want that?
What does God say about showing appreciation?
The biblical importance of gratitude can be seen in the vast amount of Bible verses on having a thankful heart.
God knows what is best for us. And He knows that what we focus on affects us.
If we focus on all we lack, we will feel depressed and sad. But if we choose to focus on all that we have, we will feel joyful and thankful.
As we learn to trust God and choose to be humble and grateful for all we have, we will find ourselves in a much better place mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually.
Because showing gratitude can bring healing to our mind, heart, body, and soul.
1) “And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.”-Colossians 2:6-7 NLT
2) “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.”-Colossians 3:16 NIV
Bible Verses on Thanking God for Who He Is
The meaning of gratitude to God is all about recognizing that EVERYTHING we have is a gift from Him. The very fact that we are breathing at this very moment is because God has willed us to do so.
He has done so much for us. And He wants us to be grateful for it all. To be thankful and praise Him for everything.
Not only because our praise brings Him glory, but because He also knows that giving thanks is good for us.
These Bible verses on appreciation and gratitude for who God is will inspire your praise and worship. They are great reminders of God’s character and all He has done.
And when we take the time to reflect on all these things, gratitude will naturally flow out of our hearts.
3) “Let us come to him with thanksgiving. Let us sing psalms of praise to him. For the Lord is a great God, a great King above all gods.”-Psalm 95:2-3 NLT
4) “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.”-Psalm 136:1 NLT
5) “I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High.”-Psalm 7:17 NIV
6) “You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever.”-Psalm 30:11-12 NIV
7) “But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.”-2 Corinthians 2:14 ESV
Bible Verses About Being Thankful for Blessings
Not only can we be grateful to God for who He is, but we can also be grateful for all the blessings He has showered on us. The following verses are all about being thankful for the many blessings in our lives.
8) “Shout with joy to the Lord, all the earth! Worship the Lord with gladness. Come before him, singing with joy. Acknowledge that the Lord is God! He made us, and we are his.”-Psalm 100:1-3 NLT
9) “Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind.”-Psalm 107:21 NIV
10) “Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe.”-Hebrews 12:28 ESV
11) “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.”-Ephesians 1:3 NIV
12) “Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.”-Ephesians 3:20 NLT
13) “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.”-Psalm 34:8 NIV
14) “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.”-Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV
Bible Verses About Being Thankful for the Little Things
Sometimes life is hard. Or mundane. And it can be difficult to think of things to be thankful for. In these moments, we can practice being thankful for the little things.
- Like the breath in our lungs.
- The fact that our hearts beat without us even thinking a thing.
- Or the feeling of the solid earth holding up underneath our feet.
By reflecting on the little things we have to be grateful for, we realize how very blessed we are.
15) “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”-James 1:17 NIV
16) “Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.”-1 Chronicles 16:8 NLT
17) “I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.”-Psalm 9:1-2 ESV
18) “It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to your name, O Most High; to declare your steadfast love in the morning, and your faithfulness by night.”-Psalm 92:1-2 ESV
19) “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”-Colossians 3:17 ESV
20) “But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.”-1 Samuel 12:24 NIV
Short Bible Verses on Appreciation and Gratitude to God
These short verses on being thankful are great for writing down in your journal. Or on a post-it note that can be placed on a bathroom mirror, by the kitchen sink, or any other place where you can see it easily.
This way you can review them, memorize them, and remind yourself to keep practicing gratitude.
21) “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.”-Psalm 23:1 NLT
22) “Sing the praises of the Lord, you his faithful people; praise his holy name.”-Psalm 30:4 NIV
23) “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.”-Colossians 3:15 NIV
24) “Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done.”-Psalm 105:1 NIV
25) “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.”-Psalm 100:4 NIV
26) “Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”-Psalm 106:1 NIV
27) “I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.”-Psalm 86:12 ESV
28) “Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!”-Psalm 95:2 ESV
Thanking God in Difficult Times Bible Verses
It’s easy to thank God when everything is going right in our lives . . . but what about when things are going wrong? Does God still expect us to be thankful in those hard moments?
Yes, He does.
God knows that especially during the difficult times, we need to look for the good. To seek the silver lining. To focus even more on the little things we can be thankful for.
Because He knows that by doing so we will find a reason to smile despite the pain. A reason to cling to hope even in the pouring rain. And a reason to keep going when the going gets tough.
Because God is with us . . . . and He is enough.
Trusting God in difficult times isn’t easy. But the following verses can help by reminding us that no matter what happens we need to keep thanking God.
Because when we thank God even in the difficult times of life, we will find our hope and strength in Christ. The only One who can help us get through to the other side.
29) “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”-Philippians 4:6-7 NLT
30) “Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”-1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NLT
31) “Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name.”-Hebrews 13:15 NLT
32) “In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”-1 Peter 1:6-7 ESV
33) “Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.”-Psalm 28:6-7 NIV
34) “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”-James 1:12 NIV
35) “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”-2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV
36) “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”-Romans 8:28 NIV
Giving Thanks to God for Everything
We can give thanks to God for everything. And in everything we go through.
In the good, we can see His handiwork clearly. In the hard, we can choose to trust that He knows what He is doing. And that He has a plan to work out even this for our good. (Romans 8:28, Gen. 31:30)
And by choosing to praise God always . . . in both the sunlight and the rain. We will find joy, happiness, hope, and peace. No matter what we are facing.
Because by choosing to practice gratitude. By being intentional about showing appreciation to God for all He has done . . . we will train our hearts to look for the good. In everything.
Which will in turn improve our health and make this life a little easier to get through.
It’s worth the effort to make gratitude a daily practice.
Because as we practice gratitude more and more . . . we will find more and more things to be thankful for.
It’s a beautiful cycle.
If you find this encouraging, then please share it so it can help others!
And be sure to check out these other awesome Bible Verses: