Life can be hard. And that, quite frankly, is putting it nicely.
When we are suffering through hard times, it can be difficult to put our thoughts together. It can feel impossible to pray. It can seem like the darkness will never end.
And I think that is why God gave us the Psalms.
The psalms are beautiful poems full of heart-wrenching honesty to the point of despair. That is then paired with declarations of God’s goodness.
The Psalms inspire us to go to God with everything. (Even the things we would rather not admit out loud.) But while the Psalms show us it is okay to let it all out before God’s throne, they also remind us, in the end, to come back to God.
To remember God is good. He is good at being God. And He is good to us.
No matter what.
Encouraging Psalms for Hard Times
Many of the most comforting Scriptures can be found in the Psalms. They display the whole array of human emotions, yet they also inspire us to keep trusting God. To keep placing our hope in the One who is REALLY in control.
These encouraging psalms for hard times will bring you peace and comfort on your hardest days.
1) “The Lord is my light and my salvation—so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?”-Psalm 27:1 NLT
2) “This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.”-Psalm 91:2 NLT
3) “I look up to the mountains—does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!”-Psalm 121:1-2 NLT
4) “Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living. Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.”-Psalm 27:13-14 NLT
5) “God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. Let the oceans roar and foam. Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!”-Psalm 46:1-3 NLT
6) “Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires. Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun.”-Psalm 37:3-6 NLT
Psalms for Encouragement and Healing
There are many psalms about hope, especially for those who are facing a life with chronic illness or any other health issue.
These encouraging psalms for the sick inspire us to lean on God in our weakest moments. Reminding us God is with us every step of the way. And He will heal us fully and completely someday.
7) “My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.”-Psalm 73:26 NLT
8) “He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.”-Psalm 147:3 NLT
9) “He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets prisoners free, the Lord gives sight to the blind, the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down, the Lord loves the righteous.”-Psalm 146:7-8 NIV
10) “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength.”-Psalm 23:1-3a NLT
11) “Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.”-Psalm 103:2-4 NIV
12) “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all; he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.”-Psalm 34:18-20 NIV
13) “O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. O Lord, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.”-Psalm 30:2-3 ESV
Encouraging Psalms for Depression
Reading these encouraging psalms to help battle depression reminds us that the writers of these Psalms were real people with real struggles.
They talk about the darkness of their souls. They are honest about the bitter cries in their heart. And they pour out the downtrodden feelings deep within them.
They faced their hard times by honestly crying out to God and choosing to praise Him in the dark.
The Psalmists knew that no matter how dark this life gets . . . Jesus is the light to help us find our way. This is why the Psalms are the perfect place to find good scriptures for peace and comfort.
14) “Come quickly, Lord, and answer me, for my depression deepens. Don’t turn away from me, or I will die. Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you.”-Psalm 143:7-8 NLT
15) “Relieve the troubles of my heart and free me from my anguish. Look on my affliction and my distress and take away all my sins.”-Psalm 25:17-18 NIV
16) “Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”-Psalm 61:1-3 NIV
17) “When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord; he brought me into a spacious place. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”-Psalm 118:5-6 NIV
18) “Have compassion on me, Lord, for I am weak. Heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony. I am sick at heart. How long, O Lord, until you restore me? Return, O Lord, and rescue me. Save me because of your unfailing love.”-Psalm 6:2-4 NLT
19) “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him.”-Psalm 40:1-3 NIV
20) “Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again—my Savior and my God!”-Psalm 43:5 NLT
21) “I am worn out from sobbing. All night I flood my bed with weeping, drenching it with my tears. My vision is blurred by grief; my eyes are worn out because of all my enemies. Go away, all you who do evil, for the Lord has heard my weeping. The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord will answer my prayer.”-Psalm 6:6-9 NLT
22) “But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?”-Psalm 56:3-4 NLT
23) “Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.”-Psalm 30:5b ESV
Encouraging Psalms to Pray
The most inspiring Bible verses are the ones that cause us to bow our heads in prayer. And these encouraging verses from the psalms are perfect for launching your prayer time with Jesus.
Begin by reading the verse. Then personalize it in a prayer. Take the time to listen to the Holy Spirit. And enjoy the conversation it starts.
24) “Teach me your decrees, O Lord; I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart. Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found.”-Psalm 119:33-35 NLT
25) “O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you!”-Psalm 53:1-3 NLT
26) “Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my plea! Answer me because you are faithful and righteous.”-Psalm 143:1 NLT
27) “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”-Psalm 19:14 NLT
28) “O Lord, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for I pray to no one but you. Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.”-Psalm 5:1-3 NLT
Encouraging Psalms of Thanksgiving
The most encouraging psalms remind us that while we can be honest with God about what is going on in our hearts, we always need to end our time with Him in praise.
Because no matter what we go through, He is faithful and true.
The following encouraging words from the book of psalms will help us keep an attitude of gratitude before our Savior and King.
29) “Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done. Sing to him; yes, sing his praises. Tell everyone about his wonderful deeds.”-Psalm 105:1-3 NLT
30) “Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.”-Psalm 95:1-2 NIV
31) “I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.”-Psalm 34:1 NIV
32) “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.”-Psalm 136:1 NIV
33) “I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.”-Psalm 9:1 NIV
How God Encourages Us
I pray these psalms have encouraged you in your faith today. No matter what you are feeling you can go to God and honestly lay it all out before Him. (After all, He already knows what is going on in your heart anyway.)
But after you have poured out your heart to God, bring yourself back to a place of worship.
Because even when we come to God with our brutally honest, gut-wrenching prayers. He doesn’t walk away from us. He doesn’t give up on us.
He still passionately loves us.
Which is why He is worthy of our praise!
If you found this encouraging, then please share!
You May Also Enjoy: